Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge


Book Day

Andy and I went to Borders last night. We usually spend some serious cash there, and yesterday was no exception... (we love books!)

Ok here is what we came home with....

Me:
1. For Women Only (everyone I know loves this book - I had to see what all the fuss was about).

2. The Screwtape Letters (we are discussing this at a bookclub in a few weeks).

3. On Becoming Babywise (I know, I know we don't have kids yet, but we want to be prepared! And its also a good chance for Andy to brush up on the basics because he's never even held a baby - this will also change soon...we are babysitting for him a few weeks).

I knew this book was a little controversial, but the heavy sigh I got from the Borders employee concerned me. Has anyone else ever read this book? So far - I don't disagree with anything, although i'm only on chapter three.

Andy got these books....he's a big Yancey fan.
1. The Bible Jesus Read

2. In the Likeness of God (updated version of his favorite book - Fearfully and Wonderfully Made).

Now...if we only have time to read these books! We have youth group tonight. Then tomorrow we are going up to Topsham to visit with his Mom. Then I have to go to Joanns to get an A-Line Skirt pattern and Fabric for next weekend - Titus 2 starts on the 17th! I'm so excited!

posted by Amanda Wheeler @ 2/09/2007 12:29:00 PM,

7 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Blogger Linda said...

So, I take it you are feeling better.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger TulipGirl said...

Welllll. . . considering the author has unresolved church discipline from more than one church and it has medical misinformation that has led to poor outcomes. . . Babywise is one I'd sigh about, too. You can do research here: http://www.ezzo.info . Or just google Babywise or Ezzo.

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also dislike Babywise. I think there are more loving, nurturing ways to raise a baby. The idea of a schedule is wonderful, but not for a brand new baby who is figuring out his/her surroundings and how to eat. I have very strong feelings against it and can recommend some other child-rearing books if you're interested.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Amanda Wheeler said...

Who are you tulipgrrl? Do I know you?

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger TulipGirl said...

You know how it is on blogs. . . link from a link from a comment sort of thing. *grin* I always like finding new Christian women blogs.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, here are my suggestions for child-rearing books:

- The No-Cry Sleep Solution. A much healthier approach to sleeping and scheduling your child.

- Sheparding a Child's Heart. Classic info about training, discipline and how God sees them. Excellent resource for anyone who wants to raise a child for Christ.

- To Train up a Child. Micheal Pearl has some interesting ideas (wait until you read the potty training chapter) but if you can look past that, his thoughts are excellent.

I'm sure there are others (maybe Brietta?) who would have better ideas for you. These are three of my favorites.

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I can tell Babywise is mostly all about convenience for the parents, not the well being of the baby.

I have heard from many parents (albeit on internet forums) who have had breastfeeding relationships ruined by trying to schedule their babies.

This method is one that I would suggest studying extensively before implementing. It didn't feel natural for us.
I think that "the Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp is a much better read. It reinforces many 'instinctual' parenting behaviors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home