Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge


Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulless, Gentleness and SELF CONTROL

Things are going great. I started Weight Watchers in late January and to date I’ve lost 21 pounds. Goodbye pounds. Don’t write. I won’t miss you.

I’ve been very encouraged and upbeat about eating less, eating healthier and even exercising. I’ve noticed a shocking change of attitude in myself. Although you do get what your pray for don’t you.

A few months ago the Women’s Group at church went through Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit by Beth Moore. The last chapter was on self-control. Not something I excel at. The last couple weeks I’ve been rereading the homework on it, and have committed myself to study it further in the next few weeks.

Here are a few insights so far:

I need self control to allow the Holy Spirit to do its work in me. I’ve learned, each aspect of the fruit of the Spirit is critical – and I have learned first hand that I need self-control to live in the Spirit.

This is what Beth says (isn't she great?):

“The key to self-control is the refusal to allow our enemies (the flesh, the world, or Satan) to rule or hold us captive in any way. What does “self” have to do with the issue of “control”? Christ has given us the victory over our flesh, our world, and our accuser. Only self can re-extend authority to one of these three enemies. They cannot presume authority over us. In the life of a believer, they can rule only where they are invited.”


The Spirit’s power is there for me, but every day I have a choice about whether to take it. It is a matter of self-control. Beth likens it to the walls of protection around an ancient city. Without those walls we are in for total destruction.

I pray every day to choose the Spirit over my own fleshly desires.

posted by Amanda Wheeler @ 2/24/2008 07:21:00 PM,

3 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger Jackie | One Redeemed Mom said...

Excellent job Amanda!!!

I fully understand the struggle to lose weight. Before courting and getting married I fad-dieted (i.e. stopped eating) and lost a ton of weight very quickly. Once we were married and I had to cook and eat dinner with my husband I started to put some back on. I couldn't even eat a normal diet and maintain the weight loss. So after three babies and staying home, I've ballooned up to my heaviest in years. Now I'm taking things slowly as to keep the weight off this time. I can't boast of 21 lbs. (yet ;) ) but I've lost about 10. It takes time to lose weight in a way that is healthy and will stay off. Good for you! What an encouragement and inspiration you are. :-)

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Jackie | One Redeemed Mom said...

After I re-read my comment, I realized how self-centered it was!

I wrote all that to say that I understand just how hard it is to eat right, work out and lose weight. If you've lost 21 pounds already you are doing an AMAZING job. It really is an encouragement to me that it can be done!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Way to go girl.....excellent job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home