Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge Scriptless Flickr Badge


Yup & Nope

I had to go to court this morning to testify in a child custody hearing.

Not fun.

First of all there was a parking ban in Portland which = major nightmare (thanks to the 10+ inches of snow we got yesterday). I ended up parking in a metered spot several blocks from the courthouse. It's so fun to walk in snow and ice in nylons and slippery shoes. So, so fun.

When I got to the courthouse I got to take off my shoes and go through the metal detector. The security was tighter than Logan airport! They searched through my purse, gave me a quick pat down and then I was admitted. Crazy!

I've never been on the inside of a court room before (thank you Lord), but I had an idea of what it looked like - probably from watching Judge Judy (I really don't watch it I promise - it was a fluke). It looked normal, I guess. Like on TV. I didn't however prepare myself to see lawyers wearing suits consisting of plaid shirts (I kid you not), printed ties (one guy had wild stallions on his..........you don't have to be a psychologist to figure out what plagues that guy), corduroy jackets, and to top it all off LL Bean boots. It was like I was transported back to the TV show set of Northern Exposure. It was weird. I felt wildly overdressed in nylons, my long black shirt and a sweater set. I guess I'm not a true Mainer if I don't consider jeans formal wear.

This one lawyer (not representing the person I was there for) kept answering the judges questions with a "Yup" or "Nope" respectively. His client lost. Shocking.

posted by Amanda Wheeler @ 1/02/2008 12:44:00 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home